Thursday, August 21, 2014

Roadblock? Get over it!

      Even though I had several email announcements leading up to the closure of a major road in my neighborhood, I was still annoyed, when headed towards my normal route to the mall and was met with the big “ROAD CLOSED NO THRU TRAFFIC” sign. Ugh…now I am forced to go a different, inconvenient way to get to my final destination!  And my annoyance grew stronger and stronger each time I left my house. Time to drop off/pick up my daughter to and from summer camp…ANNOYED. Time to go to the grocery store…ANNOYED. Time to go out to dinner…ANNOYED.  Every time I get in this car to go ANYWHERE ...ANNOYED!!! Then one day as I was approaching the road closure sign, yet annoyed again, my daughter says, “Geesh, you get so worked up.  It’s not that big of a deal.”  

      It wasn’t until that moment that I realized how much I was letting this road closure affect my mood. And she was right. It wasn’t a big deal. Realistically it only added about 5-7minutes onto my travel time. So why such a strong reaction!?! See, I often get caught up in what is the right way to do something.  And with errand running the "right" way is always the way that I perceive to be the most efficient.  So anything that makes me deviate from the "right" way really gets under my skin.

With a little help from my daughter, I learned a valuable life lesson.

Sometimes God places roadblocks in our way that we do not want to deal with, but we need to stay strong and find a new path and continue on this journey. - Author Unknown

      Roadblocks don't mean your finial destination is out of reach. It just means the current road you are traveling will not get you there. Let it go! Sometimes you have to go around some things but don't lose focus that there are several right ways to get to your final destination. The most frequently traveled or easiest route may not be God's will for you. Get over it!

     The funny thing is since writing this post, the road closed sign is long gone and the road is open again.  I am happy that I get those extra minutes back when running my day-to-day errands.  But I am even more grateful for the life lesson that it taught me...you can't go wrong when you stand with GOD :-)

For a daily dose of inspiration
Connect with me on FB www.facebook.com/thepurposepages 
and Twitter @jamielifecoach



No comments:

Post a Comment